Ease Joint Inflammation With These Smart Food Choices
Stock These Foods
* Popcorn. Great for "movie nights,' popcorn's antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties also make it a good anytime snack.
* Nuts and Seeds. Almonds, walnuts, hazelnuts and sunflower seeds all contain vitamin E, which can help reduce joint pain and cramps.
* Tuna and Sardines. These fish contain omega-3 fatty acids, which help reduce joint swelling and pain.
* Fresh Fruits. Fruits that contain vitamins C and E help fight free radicals, a type of atom or molecule in the body that can damage cells. Choose oranges, grapefruit, papaya, mangoes, raspberries or pineapple. Aim for variety.
Be Wary Of These Foods
* Snacks or Baked Goods with Trans Fats. Trans fats from hydrogenated oils can worsen joint and muscle inflammation, so read nutrition labels when buying prepackaged foods.
* Dairy Products High In Saturated Fat. Cut back on milk, cottage cheese, sour cream and yogurt, or try low-fat or fat-free versions.
* Meat. Fatty meats are associated with joint inflammation.
* Nightshade Plants such as tomatoes or eggplant can aggravate arthritis pain in some people.
Try keeping a food journal to identify and avoid foods that trigger flare-ups. Still having pain? Fairview Park Hospital offers the most advanced treatment technologies and specialized teams of surgery, pain and rehabilitation experts, The Joint Center physicians and staff at Fairview Park Hospital can address many forms of injury and ailment to the musculoskeletal system. Read more about our offerings here.